DIY Herbal Pads
After a woman gives birth, either vaginal or cesarean, it's common for her to experience anything from tenderness to pain in her nether regions. This can take place a few days to several weeks after birth. A common remedy that has been used for centuries is a mixture of herbs applied to the perineum after birth. Sitz baths are also a common remedy. This recipe will combine ingredients from a traditional sitz bath and some easy to find, inexpensive herbs that posses healing properties. Remember to always consult with your care provider or herbalist prior to using at home remedies. If you experience more pain than you feel is normal in your perineum or vagina, contact your care provider.
What you'll need:
- Pads (over night, long length pads, without wings are my favorite)
- Witch Hazel (available at any drug store) 1 bottle is plenty
- Epsom Salt or Pink Himalayan Sea Salt 1/2 cup
- Calendula 1/3 cup
- Plantain Leaves 1/3 cup
- Yarrow 1/3 cup
- Uva Ursi 1/3 cup
- Comfrey Leaves 1/3 cup
- Lavender 1/3 cup
- Large pot
- Cookie Sheet
How to Prepare:
There are 2 ways to enjoy this mixture.
-Fill a large pot with water, and bring to a boil. Remove from burner.
-Add all of your herbs to the pot of water and allow to steep for 30 minutes.
-Add Himalayan Salt and let dissolve.
-Here's where you have 2 options. You can Strain the mixture into a pitcher OR you can strain the mixture directly into a bath to enjoy right away. You could even make a double batch and have enough for a bath and pads.
- If your making a bath, strain your mixture into the bath water, then add your witch hazel. Enjoy!
- For pads, strain your mixture into a pitcher.
- Lay 12 opened and flat pads on a cookie sheet.
- Pour your herbal mixture onto each pad. (you'll use about 1/2 cup per pad - you're not soaking the pad, but you're making sure to get enough liquid from front to back of the pad)
- Pour a little witch hazel onto each pad (maybe 2 table spoons)
- You can stack your pads if you have a small cookie sheet.
-Place cookie sheet it freezer with a piece of plastic wrap covering sheet.
-Now you can enjoy a frozen herbal compress on your lady parts (yahoo! The things you get to look forward to after birth!)
How to Use
- Grab a frozen pad from freezer and place on counter.
- Let thaw for a few minutes before placing in your undies.
- Sit down and enjoy the cooling and healing effects of these herbal pads.
- Keep pad in place for 15-25 minutes then replace with a clean, dry pad.
Where to Buy your Herbs
- Support your local health food store! All of these herbs can be found at the Antelope Valley's local HFS, Whole Wheatery.
- Starwest Botanicals (online retailer based in California)
- Mountain Rose Herbs (online retailer in Oregon)
- You can buy a pre-made mixture from Tree of Life Birth and Beyond
So there ya have it. An easy DIY herbal pad for after birth! If you're not a DIY person, you're in luck! This is a service that our team members offer. During a postpartum shift or while we delivery your placenta capsules, we can make these pads for you. We bring the herbs and all supplies needed. If you're interested in a postpartum doula, check that out here.
Birth Doula, Childbirth Educator, Placenta Specialist and Co-Owner.